Saturday, January 12, 2008

We were outnumbered two to one

I went and played airsoft with our neighborhood airsoft group today.
It was a good time. The first game we played kids against adults. There were 3 adults (me, Doug, and Shawn) and 8 kids (mostly kids around 12 years old) . We were playing elimination were the objective of the game is to get all the players on the other team out. The adults left the staging first and then about five minutes later the kids came to find us. The area was thickly wooded, so I decided I would set up an ambush while the other two went ahead. I waited for a while for a group of the kids to noisily make their way towards me. While they were still a ways off, I a happened to turn my head and see through a bush another group of kids, not 10 feet away. They didn't know I was there, so I turned and pointed my airsoft gun at the closest one and said 'surrender!'. He saw that there was no way out of it for him, so he surrendered and was out of the game. This of course attracted the attention of the other kids in both groups and soon I was surrounded by kids on all sides. I put up a good fight and managed to get a total of 4 kids out before they got me. The the rest of the kids went on to find the other adults and managed to get Doug out, but then Shawn finished them off and the adult team won.

The second game was again adults against kids, but this time we had 4 adults because my friend Chris showed up. This time the kids went out first. I thought it would be harder this time because the kids could set up ambushes, but instead we won even more quickly. We split into two two man teams Me and Chris and Doug and Shawn. We went to opposite sides of the course and then worked our way to the center. Chris and I found one kid and did a velociraptor trap on him and got him out. Then a few minutes later we heard a bunch of kids running towards us. Apparently Doug and Shawn had them on the run and they ran straight into me and Chris. We had a brief firefight with them and after a few minutes had gotten them all out.

The last game was the most interesting and challenging. Three players, me, Doug, and Doug's son Ryan where the "hunted" and everyone else were the "hunters". We crossed the frozen pond on the course and hid and then after blowing a whistle to signal we were ready we were supposed to make our way back to the other side of the pond and to Doug's Suburban without getting hit. The big handicap we were given is that we could not use our rifles, but could only use our backup pistols. My airsoft rifle is accurate up to between 100 and 150 feet depending on the conditions. Plus it is fully automatic. My backup pistol is accurate up to maybe 20 feet, so this was a serious disadvantage. At one point Doug and Ryan went ahead of me and ran into Chris . Chris started following them and I was soon in a position to follow him. Then Doug stopped to hold Chris off so that Ryan could run for it. I was still 50 feet away from Chris so I didn't want to risk revealing myself by trying to shoot him. He got Doug out and Doug saw that I was behind Chris so he started trying to distract Chris by talking to him about their little skirmish.
I had two choices at that point. One was to abandon Ryan and try to take an alternate route and never let Chris know I was there. The second was try to sneak up closer to Chris and shoot him before he had a chance to shoot me. I chose the second. I slowly walked closer and closer to him and when I go within about 30 feet I panicked and thought he was going to see me so I tried to shoot him. I missed and he turned around and started spraying bbs at me (he had an automatic rifle). I tried to jump behind a little ridge but just as I was going over he got me twice in back. As soon as I was out, I thought how dumb it was to try to get Chris out when he had so much more fire power than me and that I should of tried an alternate route and tried to catch up with Ryan further on. I guess that is why they say hindsight is 20/20. It was still tons of fun and I got a great workout running and crawling through the thick woods and snow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What exactly is airsoft?

How do you know if you are hit or if you have hit someone, is it like paintball or something?

sd

keco said...

You can usually tell if you are hit usually be both sound and feel especially if you are hit on bare skin or at close range. It is on the honor system, so sometimes there are problems with people not calling their hits. It feels like someone flicking you pretty hard with their finger. How hard depends on how far you are from the person shooting. We always wear safety glasses because there is potentially for eye damage if hit in the eye.