Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Physical Fitness Test

Tonight, I did the boy scout fitness test with my boy scout troop (I am an assistant scout master). The test consists of 5 events: 400 meter run, pushups to failure, pullups to failure, standing long jump, and situps to failure.


I challenged the boys that if they could beat me or come close (within 5), they could get a candy bar. If no one was close enough, than whoever was closest for the event would get a smaller treat. Before we started I went over how to each of the activities. This was mostly because in the past they tended to not go through the full range of motion for things like pushups and pullups and would get high numbers because they weren't really doing anything.

Here were my test Results:
400 meters: 1:18 Sad
Pushups (to failure): 25
Pullups(to failure): 11
Standing Broad Jump: 99" (8'3")
Situps(to failure): 62


We did the 400 meters first and I thought that I was going to die. It was on a grass course I had measured out with my bike, so I don't know my exact splits times but I would estimate my first half was in 35 seconds and my last half was in 43 seconds (total 1:18). I really need to work on my running. The closest boy was at 1:30. They really need to work on their running too. It took my about 5 minutes to calm my breathing and then for another 5 minutes after that my throat felt tight and I felt like I was choking. My anaerobic system definitely could use some improvement.

I did pushups next and got a respectable 25. For me that is lot and they were all well formed pushups with body straight and going all the way up and all the way down. One of the boys got 20 pushups, but did not win the big prize because his last 10 pushups he only went half way down.

After that I did pullups. I eeked out 11 well formed pullups, but I felt I should have been able to do more. I think I was tired from what I had already done and from a pullup workout I had done yesterday. Pullups are by far the boys biggest weakness. Most couldn't even do one. One did three. I am going to have whip those kids into shape.

Next I tried the standing long jump a couple times. My legs were total shot from the 400. The first time I did okay, but the second time I had nothing left and did worse than the first, so I just used my first jump as my test score and didn't try anymore. The long jump is one event where being significantly taller seemed to be a big advantage. I jumped 99" and the closest scout did 70" and he was one of the taller scouts.

The last event was situps. I hate situps and I was really tired, so I waited until all the boys went and did just enough situps to beat the best score.

We have to do the test again next month, so I think I am going to challenge the boys that if any of them improves all his scores by 5 he will get some kind of awesome treat (like a super size candy bar) and in addition, if I do not improve all my scores by 5, they will all get a candy bar.

No comments: