The Park City Point 2 Point is a 78 mile mountain bike race with ~14,000 vertical climbing and 90% single track. My race didn't turn out as I would have liked, but I figure at least I can get a story out of it. I want to experiment with different types of writing, so I decided to present this story in the style of a list of facebook updates/tweets/text messages.
- It is 6 in the morning and it raining with tons of lightening and thunder and race is supposed to start in an hour.
- We're at the race start. There is going to be a meeting around 7 to decide what to do.
- The rain is slowing down, maybe the race will still happen.
- They had a vote and it was voted we would start the race around 8 instead of postponing until another day. They are going to skip the first 12 mile loop because it is a clay mud bog.
- It is 8:15 and they are starting the race
- After a mile on the road, 350 of us are trying to get onto some single track at the same time. Major traffic jam.
- Finally onto the single track. Everyone is riding wheel to wheel. If someone slips in the mud, you have to react really fast and go around or else a big pile up happens.
- One hour down, only 8-9 to go. Things are going pretty well, I am covered in mud, but the temperature is nice and cool and it is a fun trail.
- Hmmm, my rear shifter is giving me fits. It is jammed with mud. I can shift into easier gears, but when I try to shift into harder gears, it takes it a minute or two to down shift.
- #@!$%$, cannot shift into harder gears at all now. I am stuck in the granny gear. At least I can shift into a harder gear in the front.
- I wish I had a cadence sensor so I could see how fast I am spinning on the flats and downhills.
- I have been with the same group of people for a while now. We are at a nice steady pace and it is much less stressful than a short 1-2 hour XC race.
- Dang, just crashed when the guy in front of me stalled on a rock and I tried to go around. Fortunately, no bike or body injuries.
- Wow, it is sure beautiful out here. There is a lake in the distance and a mist hanging over all the mountains.
- Man this spinning is killing me, I cannot get any frickin' speed. It is like those dreams when you are trying to run fast and you don't go anywhere.
- I reached the first pit stop. I am eating a lot of food. I tried to get the dirt out of my rear deraiuller so I can shift. I have 4 hours and 45 minutes to get to the next pit stop. Hopefully I will be able shift better now.
- Heading up the team big bear climb, sometimes I can shift if I click the shifter and then do a hard pedal kick. Sometimes not.
- #@$@#%@#$%$@%#$#@%, I was trying to get my chain to shift and my front wheel got on the wrong side of a log and I crashed. My derailleur is stuck in the spokes.
- Finally go my derauller out, but now my chain keeps falling between the spokes and the rear gears. I don't know if I bent my rear derailleur or what.
- OK, I figured out if I shift my shifter so it is one below where I really want it will more or less stay on the right gear.
- I am looking at the time and how far I have left and it is going to be a close one. Time to rip my guts out and go as fast as I can. I am pretty hashed, but if I can just make the cut off to the second pit stop, I can do a death march to the end.
- Man this climb is taking forever, hopefully I can make up time on the downhill.
- Holy $@$%#@$#, this downhill is rocky twisty and slippery, the clock is ticking too fast.
- Finally a bit of faster trail, I think I can still make it. I am burying myself trying to keep a decent pace.
- Hmmm, I turned onto a dirt road, and now I a haven't seen a course marker for a while. The course has been pretty well marked, so I am probably just being paranoid.
- #%$#@%@#$%^@%, I am in some neighborhood. This cannot be right. It has started to hail.
- I'm trying to figure out where I am with the GPS on my phone, but the screen is wet on my hands are muddy and the touch screen is not working.
- #@$!@#$!#@$,!#@$!@#$!#@$!@#$,!#@$^%$&&*#%^%$^#%$^#$%... $%@$#%#$^%#@$%$@#...
- $@#%@#$%@#$%@#$%#@$%...
- @#$%$%....
- @#^%#^%#$%#$^#$%^%$...
- $#@%$. Finally got the GPS working. I am way off course. #@$!#@. I only have an hour and a half to make the cut off. It is going to take me a half hour with a big climb to get back to the course. And then if I go all out about two hours to ride the next pit stop. There is no way in @#$% I can make the cut off.
- #!@$@#$. There is no way for me to finish the race. I have decided to ride to the next pit via the road which is only a few miles. I am so cold and hungry. This bites.
- I found Connie at the pit stop. She has brought me lots of food and water and a jacket. I am done.
- I am consulting with Connie about maybe riding the last 21 mile section of the course. I wouldn't feel good crossing the finish line knowing I had skipped about 15 miles of the course. But on the other hand maybe I could skip the finish line but at least be able to say I finished a greater percentage of the ride.
- I finally decided I will do the last section even though it will count as a DNF. I will just go around the finishing line at the end.
- I'm going up a big climb. My legs feel okay. Not great, but not horrible. The food and water and rest has revived them a little.
- I have made it about half way up the first climb of the last section. The rain is starting to pour down. There is lightening too.
- I just counted the time between the lightening and the thunder. !#@$, it is only a mile away. Should I keep going?
- I am sitting here trying to decide what to do. Even if it wasn't pouring rain, this was going to be a death march. Now it is going to be a hypothermic death march and a very real physical danger from lightening. Is it worth it for a DNF?
- I am sliding back down the trail now. I decided a DNF is not worth it. I am physically and emotionally exhausted. I will have to try again some other time.
3 comments:
I loved reading this- I'm sorry it didn't go the way you wanted... there will be another time. You are pretty hard-core. You should see me tap dance.
Can you tap dance in the rain/mud/lightening Brady? That would be something!
Sorry about the race Kevin, thanks for the story though. That was nice of you to think of your readers like that.
I totally just had a vision of Brady tap dancing and singing in the mud and rain. Brady you should totally do it for your next video on your Song Stuck In My Head blog.
Post a Comment