Sometimes at bed time instead of being tired, Jonah becomes wide awake and just wants to run around and play. This can be very exhausting and sometimes when we are really tired we just go to bed and let him sit in our bed and talk or play or whatever so that we can at least get some kind of rest. On one such night, Connie had to get up early the next morning and so I decided I would stay up and watch a show on my laptop while waiting for Jonah to wind down.
Finally, around 11:30 or so he began to get that sleepy look in his eye that told me he just might go to sleep. So I turned off my show, took him upstairs to his bedroom and laid him in his bed. He started to cry and to get out of his bed, so I told him I would lay down with him in his bed for a little bit. In the darkness he said, "You hold my hand daddy?" "Sure mighty Jo' daddy will hold your hand" Then I took his little hand and he held on tight to mine. It is one of those moments when even though I was really irritated that he was staying up so late, I just couldn't be mad at him because he was so cute.
After about fifteen or twenty minutes and after almost falling asleep myself, I felt his hand go limp and I knew that he was asleep. Very carefully, I climbed out of his bed. I stood and watched him for a minute to make sure he stayed asleep, because often he feels when you leave the bed and then wakes up crying. After I was sure he was really asleep, I realized I had to use the potty. So I quietly slipped into the bathroom that is right next to Jonah's room and did a quick pit stop. As I left the bathroom I stopped and listened at Jonah's door to make sure the sound of the toilet hadn't woken him up. I didn't hear him crying or anything, so I made my way through the dark house, down the stairs, through the living room, down the hall, and into my bedroom.
As I made my way in the dark towards my bed, all of a sudden I heard a child's cry come from the bed and Connie say, "It's okay, you're okay, lie down"
"OH MAN!" I thought, "Grace or Sam must have had a nightmare or something while I was in Jonah's room, I am not going to get any sleep tonight"
"Who's in our bed?" I asked Connie.
"It's just Jonah," replied Connie.
"Wait, what?" I asked perplexed, "How is that possible? I just left him in his room a minute ago"
I stood there confused for a minute and decided Connie must be mistaken.
"It can't be Jonah, I was just in his room he was totally asleep and I was just in the bathroom 30 seconds and didn't hear any crying or walking or anything."
But after turning on a light I was able to visually confirm, that in fact it was Jonah. Or at least a baby that looked just like Jonah. Maybe my mind was just addled because it was so late and I was really tired. But this truly freaked me out for a minute. I debated in my head, should I go look upstairs and see if Jonah was still in his bed? What would I do if he was still up there and there was some other baby in our bed? What if there was a rip in the time-space continuum and now there were two Jonahs? These frightening possibilities were more than I wanted to deal with at the moment. So I just decided that if there were now two Jonahs, I would just deal with it in the morning. So I crawled into bed and went to sleep.
Morning came and when it did, I could only find one Jonah in our house. Which was quite a relief. In fact since a rip in the time space continuum had been eliminated as a possibility, I decided the only other possible explanation is that Jonah is a natural born ninja. After fully faking me out that he was asleep, in the 30 seconds that I was in the bathroom he made it down the upstairs hallway, downstairs, down the downstairs hall, into our room and into our bed. All this was done in complete darkness and without a sound. You can't teach that. If that kid is not destined to be a ninja, I don't know who is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment